WINNER OF A 2011 LOCAL NARI CONTRACTOR OF THE YEAR AWARD FOR RESIDENTIAL UNIVERSAL DESIGN, AS WELL AS A 2011 NATIONAL NARI GREEN AWARD.
We completed this project for a retired gentleman and his wife, who was recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. So, safety and ease of use were our primary concerns. Accordingly, the new design offered an accessible walk-in tub, shower, vanity, storage, and toilet. We also updated the lighting and added an energy-efficient, secure and easily operable window.
To address the clients’ needs, we accomplished the following:
- We installed universal-design cabinetry for the vanity areas, using hickory wood to match the existing kitchen cabinets. We placed his sink in a base vanity cabinet, while we suspended her sink in the granite countertop between the pony wall and the drawer base vanity. The suspended sink enables use of the sink from a wheelchair – when needed.
- We installed a jetted, walk-in tub for therapy and safety reasons, selecting a tub that provided every necessary feature: faucet, hand held faucet, whirlpool jets, heater, seat, and grab bars. We reduced the size of the window above the old tub and installed a new triple-pane, double-locking window. For safety and security, we installed a tempered-glass window, which included a film that allowed light, but not sight, through the glass. The film’s rain pattern matched the pattern on the existing back door glass.
- We installed a barrier-free, roll-in shower with a flip down seat. For easy maintenance and use we added a heavy, mold-and-mildew-resistant, accordion, magnetized door with a second handle. We also added grab bars for safety and a “shower tower”, which included a hand-held shower and body jets.
- We removed the existing, built-in, linen closet and installed a linen cabinet that matched the vanities, which we turned to face the walkway for easier access.
- For safer and easier access to the toilet, we removed the wall between the water closet and the vanity and built a pony wall in its place. We also installed grab bars on either side of the toilet.
- We installed and sealed granite countertops for easy maintenance, durability and beauty. For style and function, we added surface-mounted, mirrored, medicine cabinets over each sink.
- We added 300-watt sconces over each sink and six-inch recessed cans for additional lighting.
- We installed a porcelain floor with a rougher finish safety, beauty, durability, and maintenance.